Share your favourite family recipes. Be it sweet or savoury, healthy or indulgent, the residents would love to attempt to cook your families favourite meal.
Greek Slow Roasted Lamb
Leg of lamb or shoulder
Tablespoon of fresh or dried oregano
1/2 head fresh garlic peeled and broken into cloves
1 dash extra-virgin olive oil
1 pinch salt and milled pepper
1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup olive oil mixed with salt for potatoes
1 kilo potatoes cleaned, washed and cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- Place garlic cloves, salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil onto small dish and mix so dry ingredients adhere to the garlic.
- Use a sharp knife to make incisions into fat side of lamb and stuff with garlic cloves (best done night before as the garlic acts as a tenderiser as well flavour enhancer).
- Rub any remaining salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil over the lamb with and place in an over pan and cover with lid or with foil if you pan does not have a lid.
- Reduce heat to 170ºC and slow cook for 2 hours(1 1/2 for shoulder)
Pour lemon juice, salt and olive oil over your potatoes then add to the roast. Cover with foil and bake a further 1/2 with the roast. Remove the foil and bake for another 1/2 hour till your potatoes are golden brown.
- The meat is ready when you can pull it apart easily with two forks.
- Accompany with a fresh green or greek salad.
Recipe courtesy Maria Dobroyd
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced).
- Line a 20cm x 20cm cake tin with baking paper
- Combine sugar, oil, vanilla, flour, cocoa, eggs and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the zucchini and melted chocolate until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool and cut into squares.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup sifted cocoa
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely grated zucchini (approx. 2 medium zucchini )
200 grams melted milk chocolate (can substitute dark or do combination of the both types)
3 tablespoons icing sugar